Chicken Soup Recipe
I've had recipe requests for the chicken soup from Unity's December 2013 dinner so here it is. I hope you enjoy it!
The best soup starts with home-made chicken broth:
• 4lbs chicken thighs and/or drumsticks
• 2 carrots, cut into thirds
• 2 stalks of celery, cut into thirds
• 1 medium onion, quartered
• 2 or 3 cloves of garlic
• 1t salt
• Fresh pepper
• 4 sprigs of fresh parsley
• 10 cups of water
Combine all ingredients in a large pot. Don’t worry about peeling the vegetables because you will be tossing them out once the chicken is cooked. Bring the chicken and veggies to a rapid simmer. Skim off any of the froth that comes to the surface (impurities). Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 2 hours.
Remove the chicken (toss the veggies) and set the chicken aside to cool.
Strain the stock with a fine mesh strainer.
Return the stock to your pan and finish the soup, or cool to room temperature and store for three days in the refrigerator. The stock also freezes well.
Discard the fat, skin and bones from the chicken and shred the meat into small pieces.
To finish the soup you will need:
• 8 cups of the home-made chicken stock you just made
• 2-3 cups of cooked, shredded chicken
• 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
• 2 stalks of celery, peeled and sliced
• ½ medium onion
• ¼ cup of fresh parsley, chopped• 8 ounces of broad egg noodles
Note: I used 12oz Reames Homestyle Flat Dumplings found in the freezer section
I also added 2 cups of Swanson's chicken broth because I wanted more liquid in my soup
Bring the chicken stock to a simmer in a large pot. Add all the above ingredients and cook for 20-30 minutes (Reames dumplings take at least 30 minutes to cook. If using dried pasta approximately 20 minutes of cooking will suffice)
Makes approximately 12-14 cups of soup
For the Unity Dinner (to feed 160 people)
Cooked broth/chicken using 48 pounds of meat
For the soup:
- 20 cups of diced chicken
- 80-100 cups of chicken stock (used five containers of Swanson stock) /li>
- 20-30 carrots
- 20-30 celery stalks
- 5 onions
- 2 ½ cups of parsley
- 12 bags of frozen noodles
Made 10 gallons of soup (approximately 160 – 1 cups portions)
- Hits: 4237